Travelling to and from School
At Millfield we are working hard to keep children safe when they are travelling to and from school. We have achieved the Silver accreditation Modeshift STARS in September 2019, having first achieved the Bronze accreditation in September 2018. Modeshift STARS (Sustainable Travel Accreditation and Recognition for Schools) is a national schools awards scheme that has been established to recognise schools that have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel.
We offer a variety of learning opportunities to the children so that they are aware of the need to stay safe when near roads. These opportunities include:
- Road safety workshop for Nursery children
- Road safety workshop for parents and Reception aged children
- Year 1 Scooter club – learning basic scooter safety
- Year 2 Scooter training – delivered by HCC Road Safety officer
- Year 4 Pedestrian skills – learning how to cross the road safely and highway code skills
- Bikeability Level 1 – learning to ride safely and delivered on school grounds only
We ask that you as parents and carers support us with this by:
- Walking to school when possible
- Car sharing when possible
- Supporting Scoot to School Fridays
- Parking considerately – thinking of our neighbours and ensuring emergency vehicles can get through
- Not sitting in an idling car – keeping the air around our school as clean as possible.